Rosemary Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken
1 chicken 900 grams
1 fresh lemon
1 bulb of garlic
3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
3 sprigs of fresh thyme
100 grams salted butter
1 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
6 baby potatoes
1 big onion
3 sheaves of celery
1. Chop up the garlic into small chunks
2. Squash the lemon a bit, squeeze out some lemon juice and save it. Then cut up the lemon into 6 slices.
3. Separate the leaves on 1 sprig of rosemary and 1 sprig of thyme.
4. Wash the chicken clean. Combine the salt and pepper with the separated leaves of rosemary and thyme and some lemon juice, and rub this mixture onto the chicken and inside its cavity.
5. Soften the butter and spread the butter inside the cavity of the chicken. Then place the garlic and 3 slices of lemon (together with the remaining juice) inside the cavity of the chicken. Mix together with the butter inside the cavity. Close the cavity with a toothpick.
6. Leave the chicken in room temperature for at least 1 hour. (Alternatively, can leave the chicken in the refrigerator overnight).
7. Cut up the onion into big slices, carrots into big chunks, each potato into half, and the celery into big chunks.
8. Put the onion on the bottom of a roasting pan. Place the chicken breast up on the bed of onion in the middle, then put the carrots, potatoes and celery around the chicken. Sprinkle a small amount of salt, pepper and olive oil onto the vegetables.
9. Separate the 2 sprigs of rosemary and 2 sprigs of thyme into smaller pieces. Then put the pieces of rosemary and thyme and 3 slices of lemon on top of the chicken.
10. Pre-heat oven to 220°C
11. Put the chicken in the oven and cook for 50 to 60 minutes. After first 20 minutes turn over the chicken so that the breast faces downwards. Replace the rosemary and thyme and lemon slices on top of the chicken. Continue cooking for another 30 to 40 minutes so that the back of the chicken is well-browned. (You can decide whether to brown the breast or the back of the chicken).
12. DONE – bon appetit.